Lindrick is an area immediately south of Westgate, which takes its name from the Old English word ‘ric’ meaning ‘a narrow strip of land, especially one with trees’, which in this case were limes -from the Old English ‘lind’.
Lindrick House is a large Grade ll* listed Georgian mansion situated on the corner of Lindrick Lane and Water Lane, surrounded by a substantial garden. It was built by Thomas Moore in the early 18th century, and is shown on Joseph Dickinson’s 1724 plan of the Sandbeck Estate.
The fabric of the 2-storey, five-bay house is described in the Department of the Environment’s Schedule of Listed Buildings as ‘rendered rubble, with ashlar dressings and a hipped modern pantile roof’. At the time of building, it was considered a fine example of the ‘new style’ of architecture. A west wing extension was added in the 19th century.
Following Thomas Moore’s ownership, Lindrick House passed to the Kershaw family of Stockport until 1811, when it was purchased by Edmund Laughton, a descendent of Moore. Laughton himself lived at Eastfield House, and Lindrick appears to have been leased; the 1848 Tickhill Tithe Award names him as ‘landowner’, and the ‘occupier’ of the ‘house, garden and pleasure grounds’ as Alice Marshall. Sources listing the occupants in the intervening years are rather vague, however in the 1830s and 1840s, the occupant may have been Robert Slack, who is described as ‘gent[leman], Lindrick’ in White’s 1837 Directory & Gazetteer and ‘[living at Lindrick of] Ind[ependent means]’ in the 1841 census.
By c1860, a well-known name amongst the gentry in the Doncaster area was resident at Lindrick House. Charles Cooke-Yarborough was the youngest son of John Cooke-Yarborough of Campsmount Hall, near Campsall; the 1861 census describes him as a ‘Colonel Infantry retired’, living at Lindrick with his mother-in-law, Catherine Cooke, his wife, Esther and six-year-old daughter, Sophia, together with a full complement of domestic staff. Ten years later the family was still resident but by 1881 they had moved to Tunbridge Wells and at the end of the 1870s the new occupant was Captain George Ringrose.
Ringrose’s occupancy was quite short, as, by 1881 Lindrick House had become home to Captain Reginald Allgood Hall of the 2nd Derby Militia and his family. By 1891 he had been promoted to Major and the family continued to live there until his death in 1895; his widow, Jane remained there a further ten years. The last two occupants in the early decades of the 20th century, before the outbreak of the Second World War, were Mrs Bowen and Mrs Nellie M Huntsman.