was found in a 1910 volume of Tickhill’s Parish Magazine
belonging to the late Mrs Joan Wilcox. It is not known whether
the flyer was originally distributed with the Magazine.
the Drapers, whose shop in Sunderland Street occupied the
building now used by Lockwoods Florists, certainly paid to
advertise in the Magazines. It is likely that the fashion
shown was contemporary with 1910. This was a time when almost
all adults wore hats when going out.
The ‘semi-trimmed’ millinery could
suggest that purchasers added some of their own trims to their
hats to personalise them, or bought additional trimmings from
Jarvis’s. The price range from one shilling, 1/-, (5p) has the
equivalent purchasing power nowadays of about £3.50. The
flyer, printed on very thin, ochre-coloured paper, is a rare
survival of this type of advertising material, usually classed